Friday, March 8, 2013

Late Winter DIY Skirt

So.... my first skirt sewn AND worn! YAY!

Here are some photos of my uneven masterpiece:

Wore my new skirt while showing Seattle to a fellow Texan!


Whoosh! Action shot.

Polexia makes an appearance here! I love her!

This photo and the photo below are of my entire outfit.
The reason I wore grey tights is because my little flats
have grey in the plaid pattern! I felt very matchy-matchy
... except for my faded military style jacket. That didn't match at all.


I say it's uneven but according to my friend (who is male) and my fiance (another male) it was "fine".... UGH! I want it to be PERFECT! They will never understand what it is like to have the female brain (lucky them).

ANYWAYS:
I followed the Simplicity brand "Learn to sew" series, pattern #2286-B, and it was supposed to have pockets... Well, plaid isn't the best choice for making a skirt with pockets, or maybe it's just fine but I was too needy wanting all of the lines to match up. I made the pockets and stitched them on and then decided I hated them. I am going to try this skirt again with different fabric and see if I will keep the pockets!
It only took 2-3 hours to make and the instructions were phenomenal! I really enjoyed using Learn to Sew and it gave a nice little bite sized taste into the world of pattern sewing.

Miscellaneous information:
Fabric= $2/yard clearance flannel from Walmart nearly 2 years ago
Pattern= $1 during Joanns yearly Simplicity 5 for $5 pattern sales (I don't think I would have bought it for
              the $10 it costs online)
Using this pattern I learned how to insert an elastic, gather fabric, and sew a straight hem (well, it's not THAT straight)


I give this pattern a 4.5/5 for novice sewers like myself! 

1 comment: