Monday, April 1, 2013

What is the value of a Wedding Planner?

Happy Easter and Happy April Fool's Day! Yesterday was a beautiful spring day, which is very fitting with the holiday for renewal and new beginnings.

I celebrated yesterday with an Easter brunch at a friend's house, which was great, except.... there were a ton of families. Families... with kids.... totally fine, but Ben and I were totally not in their club. My friend surprised me with an Easter gift, a Wedding Organizer.

To read my review/opinion/rant about wedding organizers, follow the jump...


BUT FIRST: Look at my Easter outfit! I loved being able to wear my mint green lace dress with fun magenta and purple hounds tooth tights! Felt and looked like an Easter egg!!






Let me just start off with: I AM A HORRIBLE GIFT RECEIVER. I'm that friend that you do not want to get a bad gift for because I literally cannot control my face and will make a WTF face if it isn't a good one... and before you judge, I mean that the gift really isn't me or the person got it just to say they got me something, you know? I am a "from the heart" type of person and would rather receive a green glitter coffee cup because it reminded someone of me...back to the point: the wedding planner.

It really was a beautiful organizer, but in the end it made me hate myself... which is never good.

I have been deciding whether I should invest in a wedding organizer/planner for a very long time... since my engagement (July 31, 2010). I haven't purchased one since it just seemed pointless... and boy, was I right! This organizer seems amazing for women who are planning a wedding that costs well over $10,000. Mine has to stay at, or go below, $5,000. The organizer I received cost my friend $22.50 ($24.64 with tax) and I feel bad for not wanting it.

Upon receiving it I thanked her and made sure NOT to glance through the pages. But when I got home I decided that I should at least look at it before giving it back to her (she has two kids and I am sure they could buy a few books for themselves this summer). Let's just say, F*** that. This "organizational" book is such a stresser. It lined out the things that weddings "need" (please read this sentence with as much sarcasm as possible). This book was made for the girls who have all the money in the world for their weddings. After reading each section and glancing at all the lists it just made me feel so crummy. It made me feel like my wedding is going to be so horrible since I cannot provide the things most weddings have. WHICH IS NOT TRUE. My wedding is going to be a celebration of my love for my future husband... not a "look at what my mommy and daddy can afford" party. It brought me to tears because planning a wedding is stressful enough when you have a small budget, but adding this book just makes it seem like I'm an idiot for not saving more money. WHO CARES. I hate that books like this one exist since it is so farce to assume that every bride has the resources to spend thousands of dollars on catering and decorations...... Now, that my rant is over, my fiance *CALMLY* reminded me that these books are written by people that are monetizing the wedding industry. Which is totally fine... they can create jobs for themselves and feed their families. AAAAAAAAAAND now I feel bad for hating these books so much :/

Some advice for the low-cost brides like myself, do not waste your money on those wedding organizers unless you are absolutely lost and have no idea what you want at your wedding. Those planners/organizers are for the couples that haven't decided themes, colors, etc. All you need to keep your affairs in order is a Monthly/Weekly calendar (that you can use for other things like school schedule, bill due dates, etc.-- I use mine for ANYTHING that I plan ahead for) and a folder to keep receipts/inspirations in. Also, for the tech-friendly brides, try using Microsoft Note and Microsoft Publisher. These are amazing products that can really help you electronically organize what you want at your wedding (which is pretty realistic since we can order everything online).

Flipping through that overpriced organizer I got a wild hair and decided that I will post photos and directions that I have taken to plan my own wedding. That means, show you how I organize my planner, write and plan important dates, and everything else involved in my wedding. Sorry for this personal blog post, but I just needed to get it off my chest!!

Here is a Word document that is a very simply, yet efficient, guest list form: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6eyXyiMkpYFeFhaN2lxUmRZenM/edit?usp=sharing

please let me know if you cannot access or download it!!

xo
VEM

No comments:

Post a Comment